Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bye-Bye bottle...

I pretty much cringe at the thought of mealtime for Christopher. He went for a week without any gagging, but he's back at it again. He usually eats well, but sometimes he will just hold food on his tongue and gag himself. He's done it with cheerios, bananas, smooth baby foods, cereal, chunkier baby foods.... almost anythying! I have no idea what sparks it either! It is kind of comforting to know that he did the same thing for my mom while we were on vacation (Well, I'm not GLAD he did and I know it was really a pain for her), but at least we can now commiserate on how frustrating it is.


ANYWAY, I am SO frustrated that he is 1 year old and severely struggling with switching to a sippy cup. If you followed me or our hospital stays, you know that he would ONLY drink from a sippy cup after his 1st surgery (which was just fine) and then he switched to ONLY a bottle after his 2nd surgery. He HATES cups of all varieties and he even seems to dislike juice. His faces are hilarious when he gets a sip of juice.


Well, I have decided it is time to transition him even if against his own will. Luckily, we had no problem switching to 'real' milk so maybe having 'real' milk in a cup will help. I am going to buy this "NUK Active 12 Mo+" cup since it is very similar to a bottle and go from there. And can you believe it-- Target has a printable coupon for this cup AND the NUK website has a manufacturer's coupon... $2 off! so this might just be 'meant-to-be'.



Please wish us luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Stacy { <>< }

1 comment:

Amanda McCusker said...

Good Luck! Christopher has been through a lot when it comes to eating so hopefully what you are trying now will work.

Zoey didn't like giving up the bottle. She didn't mind sippy cups at all, but the bottle was such a comfort for her. In the end she was only drinking water from a bottle and everything else from the cups. Finally, we gave up the night time bottle pretty much cold turkey and she was fine. That's also when she started bringing lots of blankets and stuffed animals to bed with her. I suppose she gave up one comfort for another. I know Christopher may have a very different experience with giving up the bottle, but I typed my thoughts before I could stop myself so there they are. Did I mention good luck?