Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A 'Stuffed Mushrooms' Lesson

First of all, this is a picture of one of my cute sons GOBBLING up ...
Stuffed Mushrooms!!!!!!!!!

Christopher eating my stuffed mushrooms
(and cottage cheese?).

Seriously.  What kid(s) under age 5 eat stuffed mushrooms?  Mine.

The story:  I was thrilled to have a functional oven after waiting 3 weeks for a repair so I decided to finally make Stuffed Mushrooms.  I had some ricotta cheese leftover from last week's crock pot lasagna so I found a recipe that called for ricotta and sausage. 

You can follow the pictures below if you're interested in making them.

But the real surprise was when I joined the boys at lunch with a plate full of stuffed mushrooms and they BOTH scooted their plates over to mine asking to taste one.  I knew they wouldn't like it so I put one on each of their plates and cut them.  BOY WAS I WRONG.  They both gobbled them up and asked for more.  and more.  and more.  and more.  Until the 3 of us had eaten an entire tray of stuffed mushrooms!  Oh, and we had the leftover sausage/ricotta/mushroom/crouton filling for dinner and Michael said (and I quote), "mmmmmmm...Mommy, you make a really good dinner!". 

So I guess I should stop underestimating
the tastes of my 4 year old and 2 year old boys.

They really were yummy!

 
First, remove stems and chop them finely.
Roast mushroom caps face down for 5 mins.

Second, cook mushrooms in pan with garlic.
(I cooked my sausage in my awesome

Third, combine sausage, mushroom stems, and ricotta in pan.
Flip roasted caps to release water.

Fourth, stuff the mushroom caps with the pan mixture
and top with crushed croutons.  Cook for 10-12 minutes.

I layered the leftovers on their own and it was a big hit, too!


Yummy finished product!
(They look kind of messy - buy bigger mushrooms to avoid that problem)

Let me reiterate - we ate this entire pan of stuffed mushrooms for lunch.
Me, Michael, and Christopher.
And originally, I had no intentions of sharing!

YUM!

<>< Stacy

No comments: